This project is read-only.

Deployment issue

Jul 17, 2009 at 9:16 AM


Your application is really great! I am fairly new to C# and it is a great way of learning. You have done an amazing job within XAML and C#. So thank you very much for this :)

I have a small issue. I understand the way you coded, the Element Data Binding etc, and everythings works well on developement. But, when I deploy and run the application either locally or on the web, I get the error message stating "There was an error retrieving xml".

In order to deploy it, I click right on "CoverFlowWeb", then choose "Publish", either a ftp or file path and choose "Publish". In order to run the app, I go to the deployed folder and click on the Default.html.

Unfortunately I get the error message on both cases, do you know what I am doing wrong? Could you please help me?


Thank you very much,



Sep 27, 2009 at 7:11 PM
Edited Sep 27, 2009 at 7:12 PM



You need to put this line in Web.config file, to allow application access to internet: 

<trust level="Full"/>


Oct 14, 2009 at 4:12 PM
Edited Oct 14, 2009 at 4:13 PM

Sounds like you are trying to run your application directly from the Default.html if you are opening up the folder in Windows Explorer and clicking on Default.html.  However your application is a .Net application and requires a webserver to run the .Net part.  There is an error retrieving the xml because it uses an asmx webservice to download the movie trailer xml data from and then caches it.  So if you are not running from a web server then it will not be able to run the .Net code.

Hope this helps,


Mar 21, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Hey Darick or anyone else that can help,


I running into some of the same issues as others on this board.  I've download the code...very cool thanks for posting.  I got it up and running straight out of VS 2010.  If I hit the website (default html) using mozilla or I.E. I get the error ""There was an error retrieving xml"." 

If i'm using the apple xml file or my own and run it through VS 2010 debug it works and fires but if it is not through VS just through a browser I get the error. 

As derick point out the application is a .Net application and requires a webserver to run the .Net part but my machine is a web server and I am running IIS.

So I'm wondering why it can make the connection when I launch debug from VS 2010 but it can't when I go directly through the web browser.  Obviously when I launch through VS my web address looks something like http://localhost:52703/Default.html and when I go through a browser I'm typing in http://servername/AppFinder/CoverFlowWeb/Default.html


Can someone suggestion something else or sheds some more light on this...I've spent days trying to get it to run from the browser and can't.